Friday, May 25, 2012

A Good Night's Sleep

Hi to all!

You may have thought that I fell off the face of the earth, but I've been busy working, and also spent some time doing this:


That's right, I drove down to OC last Friday.  This is actually light traffic for LA.  I went down for my nephew's fiancee's (my new niece!) bridal shower, so I was able to visit (briefly) with family.  I would have liked for it to have been a longer visit, but I had to get back to work a 12:00 noon shift on Sunday.  Such is the life of one who works retail.


In my off-time, I've been working in the garden, working on my bathroom redo, and working on cleaning and fixing up my bedroom.

I collect a lot of stuff that is best housed in a bedroom: vintage costume jewelry, hats, and purses.  Additionally, I inherited a lot of cool vintage things from my mom: gloves (that I can't wear because her hands were so tiny - but I can't bear to part with them), more purses, more hats, a dresser set, etc.  So, since the only rooms you've ever seen in my house are the living room and kitchen, I thought I would share a few photos of my still-incomplete bedroom:



I LOVE my art deco vanity. It didn't have the original vanity stool, so I'm always on the lookout for an orphaned one.


I inherited my grandmother's bedroom furniture (bed, dresser & nightstands).  My mom said that Grandma bought the set in 1948. In the photo below, you can see from the image in the mirror that I forgot to clean the junk off the top of the little chest that's next to my bed.  Oh well, at least the bed is made.  I can't say that that's always the case.



You can never have too many purses - even though I don't have much money to put in those purses these days : )






Just in case you're wondering, yes, I do actually use my purses. 



And you can never have too many poodles:



And you can never have too much pink:






And you can never have too many puppies:

These are the only puppies I can have right now.  After doing some research, I figured that it will cost about $150 to adopt from the local SPCA.  Of course this includes all the shots, spaying, microchip and dog license, so it doesn't seem unreasonable, but it's going to take me a few months to save for it. So I'm putting all my spare change in an old coffee can.  This dog will be paid for with rolls of pennies and quarters.

A few more images:



I just love this fan.  It was my mom's.  On the side of it is printed "Made in Occupied Japan." 



I don't remember where I originally saw this idea to use old jewelry as tiebacks for curtains.  Both sets of beads were my mom's.

Eventually, I would like to get rid of the metal closet doors (they just don't look right with the vintage stuff).  Also, I'd like to have a shelf made to fit over the closet so I can display my old hats.  Right now, they're stored in hat boxes.  I also need to figure out where the dog's bed is going to go.  My bedroom is pretty small, and I'm already using up most of the space.  Maybe I should just give the dogs (because I already know that I won't have just one) their own room. 

Hope you enjoyed the bedroom tour.  Hope everyone has a great weekend (and a safe one, too!)  Thanks for your visit, and for your comments.  I always enjoy reading them.


8 comments:

  1. Julie,
    Love your purse collection.I am glad you use them too.They are beautiful to display and use.Love your bedding.Those roses are gorgeous!Glad you are doing well.I was just thinking about you.I am sure you are working hard.How is your garden coming along?
    ((Hugs))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Julie ~ Such sweet purses, I like how you displayed the purses on the wall, very creative ~~~ thanks for visiting my blog today ~

    Have a nice weekend in California ~ God Bless You,

    Sincerely,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Julie! Give the natural dyes a whirl! You can't beat the price. Love your bedroom, especially the stuff that was your momma's. That is awfully special, isn't it?

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So much eye candy in your beautiful bedroom! Your purse collection is fabulous! I use my vintage purses too:) Your poodle collection is great. Here's a sad tidbit (hanging my head in shame as I type this): I had a few of these poodles (pink) that belonged to my grandmother, but in my very early twenties I decided I didn't like them and gave them to Goodwill. Ugh! Sure wish I'd hung onto them because I love them now. Back to your room...is that a vintage tablecloth above your bed? Very pretty. Thanks for the tour:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy. Actually, it's an old bedspread that's over my bed. Love the embroidery.

      Delete
  5. Your room looks so sweet and vintagey! How nice to have your Grandma's bedroom set and I love all your vintage purses, too! Have you thought about looking on craigslist for a dog? Just a thought.
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! i'm your newest follower! The pink gloves, hat and purse are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for following. The pinks are my favorites as well.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. I look forward to reading it!